We believe in preserving our environment for future generations while providing for today’s needs. Wheelabrator is focused on meeting the waste disposal needs of our communities and customers while delivering clean, renewable power to local communities.
- Owned by energy-focused private equity firm, Energy Capital Partners (ECP)
- ~1200 employees
- 16 operating EfW facilities in the U.S. & UK: 12 owned + 3 O&M + 1 JV
- 3 independent power plants: 2 biomass + 1 waste coal
- Represents total annual waste processing capacity of over 7.5 million tons with a combined electric generating capacity of 825 MW—enough energy to power more than 771,000 homes
- 3 EfW facilities under construction in the U.K.
- 4 ash monofills; 3 transfer stations
EfW facilities provide safe everyday waste disposal for towns and cities across the U.S. These facilities deliver clean, renewable electric power to major utilities for distribution to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses. As valued corporate citizens and neighbors, Wheelabrator facilities contribute to the economic and civic vitality of their host communities.
Wheelabrator also operates a variety of independent power plants designed to generate electricity using an assortment of fuels, including waste wood, waste coal and natural gas. In addition to producing electricity, some of these facilities also produce steam sold to nearby government and commercial establishments.
Our environmental record
- Every day, we create enough energy to power 771K homes with clean, renewable energy
- We reduce carbon emissions by offsetting the need for energy from fossil fuel sources and reduce dependence on landfills
- We’ve developed environmental centers, nature trails and sanctuaries, certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council, in the communities where our customers live and work
- We've empowered more than 3,000 middle school students to create innovative solutions to environmental issues and become active leaders in their communities
- In 2017, Wheelabrator’s energy plants:
- Recovered 160,517 tons of ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Transformed 7.4M tons of waste into 5.8B kwh of clean energy
- Since 1975, Wheelabrator’s energy plants have:
- Generated 125B kwh of clean energy from more than 238M tons of residential and business waste
- Recovered and recycled more than 3.8M tons of ferrous and non-ferrous metals that would otherwise go to landfills
Our performance highlights
- Performance Record —Wheelabrator has a 40-year track record of providing reliable, EfW services to hundreds of customers
- Highest OSHA Safety Distinction —16 Wheelabrator facilities are OSHA VPP Star Worksite certified, a distinction earned by less than .03% of the seven million regulated workplaces in the U.S.
- Maintains Permits in Good Standing —Wheelabrator has maintained all environmental permits in good standing under stringent federal and state regulatory standards at each of its facilities